Monday, December 8, 2008

Prefuse Was Here....


Man, I have a lot to catch up on, or rather catch you up on. I have come to the realization that my time is very limited in the afternoons and evenings and I am trying to fit everything in. So let's go.

Last night Sunday, I went with Rich & Jimmy to Heathrow on the beach to go see none other than one of my favorite musical artist; Prefuse 73 or Guillermo Scott Herren as his mother named him. Ironically enough, Prefuse was born here in Miami, so I thought we were going to be in for a hell of a show.


I won't lie, I was truly under the impression that he was going to DJ and I was really just looking forward to some choice tunes and possibly a few of his gems thrown in for good measure. What was to follow basically resembles the above photo. And that really sucks because I cannot stress how good Prefuse 73's music really is. 

Gill came out with some other dude a little past 1:30 AM. There was roughly 5-10 mins of silence as the previous DJ's laptop was disconnected and all of Gill's equipment was then installed. I mean, I don't really blame him, I blame more the club and its owners, but I thought that was a little ridiculous. It made for a really uncomfortable few minutes in the club where everyone's small talk chatter was all you could here. Worst of all, you could ACTUALLY here people's conversations, which again, were pretty dull and pathetic. I found myself succumbing to being prejudice as hell (for the sake of humor) and started to make a couple of sarcastic, observant, tasteless remarks about a not-too-attractive oriental girl. But all this was justified with Rich & Jimmy's laughter. I made an observation and stated to R & J, "...is it me or are asian/oriental people either really good-looking or just really unattractive? Like, there is no middle ground with them." To which they both agreed. And I feel bad saying this but the girl had some pretty bad acne and I also made a quip about that. "She looks like she cleans her face at night with the same rag she cleans her wok with." I know; bad taste. But 1. that's my style of humor and 2. something had to be done and discussed while our friend here was setting up.

Once he began, seriously, it was a jumbled mess that had little flash-in-the-pan moments of a little groovy beat that would then suddenly be drowned again by ridiculous noise. Honestly, that's the best I can describe it. And I can really break something down to the ridiculous and describe it to the point where you should be able to taste it. But honestly, as a musician and producer myself, I mean, it was simply noise. Gill was up there in the booth some some other guy and apparently they were both "playing" for us. But the thing that struck me odd watching (and unfortunately listening) was that they were both bobbing to the music, right? But they were bobbing off beat to one another. In other words, it was as if each one was listening to something the other totally was not. And perhaps THIS is the reason why the audio garbage that was seeping, nay, booming out of the speakers -to the point where near the end of the set, a boss had approached the security guard by the booth instructing him, to instruct Gill, to turn the volume down- was downright insulting. 

I was so looking forward to this more than anything this whole Art Basel. This one moment, this one show. I was glad to be able to see and hear Prefuse 73 for the first time live and I was extremely disappointed. Honestly, the highlight of the night was smoking weed in the alley in the back of the club, eventually walking into this whack wannabe strip club a few units down from the club where as we walked by the first time the guy outside says to us, "Come inside. $20 all you can drink, all you can fuck!" Only for us to walk in, at my insistence, to see just two, scantily (not nude) girls dancing at two separate poles in a space that was no bigger than the living room and dining room in my place. We pretty much walked out as quickly as we walked in. Another highlight was running into an old friend from high school whom I haven't seen in over ten years. Oddly enough, turns out her boyfriend went to school with Rich and she went to school with me. Small world. Oh and the last highlight; being on the verge of piss-drunkeness and enjoying a nice quarter pounder with cheese at 4 in the morning. 



Thanks for nothing, man.

1 comment:

  1. he was aight when i saw him in LA last year. School of Seven Bells and Blank Blue were the hit for that show. I think fame has just got to his head. it happens.

    ReplyDelete